Mustelids (otters/ mink) like London buses!

In March 2021 I picked up a tantalising piece of footage of a mustelid. Opinion was split as to whether this was an otter, American mink or a polecat. 


Mink and otter have been seen on the River Gilpin which my beck flows into. I did find some spraint which wasn't fresh enough to smell. Mink spraint smells unpleasant while otter spraint smells of jasmine or violets! 



 

Basically the video footage was too short to tell so I set about capturing more footage although I reluctantly concluded it was probably a mink. I say reluctantly as these animals have escaped from fur farms and are not native to the UK. They cause harm to the ecosystem. While otters are native and rare. They are a protected species and seeing one is always a delight.

I set up 3 cameras on the beck with two on loan from a fellow woodlander Andy. I captured lots of interesting footage.


Badger crossing and drinking from the beck


Red deer and fox crossing the beck


As well as roe deer, pheasant, wood pigeons, field mice and even a low flying bat - but no more otter or mink footage. I reduced to one camera on the beck while I explored other parts of the wood with cameras.

I was approached by the river Gilpin Otter Watch on 15th May 2022 who let me know that had just set up and asked me if I had any new footage of otters to share and I said no. 

Then on my next visit to the camera trap at the beck I found these two pieces of footage captured on the 16th & 17th May 2022.


Footage 1

Footage 2

My assumption was that these were the same animal, going up and then back down the beck. Sharp eyed people I shared these with noticed that the first one is smaller than the second. Once I asked people with more expertise a consensus emerged. The first piece of footage is an American Mink and the second is an otter. Both eat, among other foods, frogs which will be developing from froglets just now. There is a tarn in the neighbouring wood above mine from which the beck flows so this would make sense. 

I then picked up these two gems. This first one is a lovely clear piece of footage with the otter coming towards the camera.


I like this one showing that the otter has chosen to swim in a small pool of water even though he has to get out really quickly and walk again. He looks so sleek in the water.



Side by side looking at stills, the difference is clear. 


I am sure colour photos with daylight would be helpful too; the camera is still there so maybe they will be around earlier or later in the day some time.

John Martin a local wildlife expert kindly visited my land and had a look around with me. He has a keen interest in otters in the area. He showed me some otter spraint on a rock by the beck just above where this footage was collected. This is smaller than I had anticipated and so I am more able to spot it now.

    

The camera is still there and I will keep checking it but if last year is an indicator of their behaviour that may be it. There will be better feeding grounds in the River Gilpin and out to sea. But if this is an annual event then I am happy. I will go and sit up there quietly one evening and see if I see some activity live now I know that there is an otter around.



I picked up this footage of an otter near the beck on 12th June so have added this into the blog.



















Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bel's Wood becomes a wood

Christmas and 4,250 trees are ready to be planted

Winter arrives and all systems are go