Wildlife at Bel’s Wood

The cameras have been picking up activity at the wood over the summer. This Tawny Owl has visited this pool created by a leaky dam over a number of weeks and I have some lovely footage of him drinking, washing and pooping.












This Jay poses for the camera perfectly here showing off his amazing colouring and moustache:-


I often see the sparrowhawk and always hear his threatening call. Here he is by the beck and below is a chick who looks a little less confident hopping around.







I’ve slightly enhanced this photograph to show the detail - the camouflage on Sparrowhawks and the Tawny Owls is amazing and such a different approach to the blue coloured Jayl




I have had this Mink visiting frequently. The pointy nose is an indicator that it is a Mink not an Otter. In previous years I have had both visit at the same time. I have one swift piece footage that may be Otter but so fleeting it is hard to be sure so I have not included it.






I have this rather nice footage of a stoat slinking around the tree. He is becoming a more regular visitor.


I have a lot of Badger activity on site. There are a number of active sets, snuffle holes, Badger paths through the bracken and I occasionally spot one hurrying along at night on their own. It was lovely to capture the footage below with 2 Badgers together. I am presuming the second one is a juvenile and it is nice to see him stopping for a drink. It is misty weather at night but I think they are visible enough to enjoy.

 

I have a pair of foxes I sometimes see in the flesh and often pick up on the camera. This is a juvenile out on his own looking healthy and lithe.



I have been watching the beck in hope of seeing the Otter. Although I am disappointed on that front I have included this footage of a Bullfinch taking off backwards from the springtime which i still find an amazing sight to see. The presence of predatory Owls and Sparrowhawk is the likely reason that the Bullfinch is in too much of a hurry to turn around until the end of the footage.



I have been working hard over the summer at the wood so it has been lovely to review the animal activity that has been taking place while I have been focussed on nurturing the trees.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Bel's Wood becomes a wood

Bluebells Thriving at Bel's Wood

Wildlife - badgers, foxes and deer 18-2-21