The background rhythm of the Bel’s Wood

I’ve been working hard up at the wood since February - initially laying mulch mats and now deep into bracken management. I’m loving spending so much time up there but have not paid as much attention to the wildlife over the last months. I thought I would collate the footage from the cameras and try and capture the rhythm of the wood as I experience it though videos and stills. These were collected in May and June 2024.


Despite the land having been farmed and used for rearing pheasants for regular shoots, there have always been some wild feeling areas that I treasure and I aim to expand them with more  trees and less open space engulfed with bracken and gorse.

I have both cameras on the beck just now as it is always a good place to pick up wildlife.

Young fox crossing the beck


There are always badgers out and about in the evenings. I often hear them but rarely see them in the flesh.


I have been hoping to see the otter again this year as he has visited in June the last two years. I think this is a mink and I have picked him up a few times which is a less welcome visitor.

I also have quite a bit of grey squirrel activity. Neighbouring land owners are culling grey squirrels to help protect the remaining nature reds who are present in Cumrbia still. This is something I shall consider in the future.


Another less welcome visitor is domestic cats. They probably live locally and use the wood as their hunting ground but they are a considerable threat to voles and small mammals and small birds.

More welcome is the increasing amount of naturally regenerating trees. I am particularly pleased to see some Sessile Oaks appearing. I did not buy any in as I have some lovely mature Sessile Oaks and hoped that these would produce saplings over time to replace some of the old ones which are showing their age. When buying oaks you cannot guarantee that they are these native Cumbrian ones and it looks like that gamble is paying off.




One of my large 150 year old (estimate) Sessile Oaks (Cecelia) had recently dropped a large branch in the recent high winds so it is good to have new trees coming on some of which may reach a grand old age. I do spend time imaging 2124 or even 2224 with a stand of oaks reaching maturity.

There has been some fun birdlife picked up on the beck. Above is a Jay posing nicely for the camera.




This is the first time I have picked up footage of a Dipper (well named!). They are apparently very common in the River Gilpin which the beck runs into. I wonder if they like it being as deep as it is consistently as we have had a high level of rain fall over winter and spring.



This Sparrowhawk is a regular visitor to the beck much to the consternation of the birdlife. I often hear the screeching of the Sparrowhawk and the alarm calls of the smaller birds.


Below is an extraordinary piece of footage of a Bullfinch flying backwards. It takes a few goes looking at it to realise that he starts in the air, goes backwards and is turning as he reaches the edge of the screen. I understand that small birds have been known to do this when threatened by predators. Amazing to see the skilled flying here on camera.






The bloom of flowers has given a real summer feel to the wood.

Grasses  swaying in the wind

It has been a terrible year for insect/ invertebrate life, in particular butterflies. I have seen this beetle and Banded Damoiselle, plenty of Beautiful Damoiselles (the blue ones that look like dragonflies) and many many spiders. 

 

I have seen a few Speckled Wood butterflies, some Ringlets and Meadow Browns. I haven’t seen any Orange Tips this year when they are usually the most common ones I have seen in previous year. I haven’t seen any Large or Small Whites or Pearl Fritillaries this year. From listening to experts, the drought last year had a negative impact on numbers and then the inconsistent weather this year with low temperatures, wind and rain and few sunny days back to back is leading to a collapse in numbers of butterflies. This is a local indicator of the negative impact of the changing climate. That’s a negative note to finish this blog on but it does appear to be the new reality. A major driver for this project is to plant more trees and increase carbon sequestration and to take land out of use for animal farming - sheep, cattle and pheasant rearing as these have negative environmental impacts. This small project won’t make any difference though as we continue to burn fossil fuels in the way that we are doing. Today is election day. I wonder if the result will change anything including any impact internationally.





Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Bel's Wood becomes a wood

Bluebells Thriving at Bel's Wood

Wildlife - badgers, foxes and deer 18-2-21