Spring turns to summer

May has been cold and wet. The beck has refilled after an exceptionally dry April and the boggy areas are again sticky to walk over. Which is a relief. The blackthorn has finished and the hawthorn is now in flower with maybe a day of overlap. A few butterflies have emerged - I have spotted orange tip & red admiral. I first heard the cuckoo the morning after Beltane (1st May and the beginning of the Celtic year). A couple of friends joined me for a cook out and we jumped over the fire as it tradition!


                                       

The blackthorn & hawthorn keeping the bees well fed:

    

      Blackthorn                                                                            Hawthorn


The first leaves appeared on the trees and more flowers have sprung up

      
Rowan coming into leaf and then flower - having thought I had none it now transpires I have many which is a delight.

Cecelia (the sessile oak) coming into leaf 

  
I have been able to identify a 'mystery tree' as white beam which has looked spectacular coming into leaf - like a white magnolia

                         

And this salix which I hadn't noticed before.                               Birch coming into leaf

My wellington boots have sprung leaks and despite repairing them won't see another winter!

   


I have had a couple of nights in the hammock and am learning the art of keeping warm and dry. 





But mostly I have loved to see the skyline change from bare trees at the beginning of the month to these full lush views across the Gilpin Valley


And watched the flowers emerging into the sun

  
Cowslips                                          Early purple orchids - 
                                                                   which quickly disappeared - 
                                                                                        likely eaten by red deer (evidence below)







There are still bluebells though which smell heavenly indicating that they are native English ones. 

I am learning some woodland skills and these logs will be excellent at the end of the night next year but are too young and full of sap this year.



The focus now though has to be on keeping the bracken at bay! It has been so lovely being able to access all areas (apart from the dense gorse) during winter and spring. I am keeping 'camp 1' where the hammock is cleared and the fire area. I would like to do more but I am not sure if that is realistic since I am tackling it by hand - including those of generous friends who have helped!




But there is still time to stand and stare (and listen!)

 







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bel's Wood becomes a wood

Christmas and 4,250 trees are ready to be planted

Winter arrives and all systems are go