Ceclia (the Sessile Oak) in all Seasons

 I have been taking standard photographs across the wood over the last 4 years. I am not always consistent but since Ceclia the Sessile Oak is a favourite spot to visit I have a good selection showing the different seasons and changes on the land.


My friend took this photo of me when I have just taken responsibility for the land. I was measuring her girth to estimate her age. But yes I am a tree hugger now!



The Woodland Trust publish this Ready Reckoner for aging oaks. It was developed in South East England so it is likely that it underestimates the age of a tree grown in the Cumbria. This table would say she is about 150 years old. I suspect 200 years is more likely as she is dropping branches like a mature oak tree does.

I named her as she is a prominent tree and therefore useful for navigation. At the beginning I used to get disorientated in the wood and I would say to myself - oh yes I recognise that big old oak and there is another one etc. So giving individual trees names helped me remember where I was and also proved useful when putting together my planting plan. I felt that this tree is female (oaks don’t have genders) with wide branches that you can shelter under and she is old. Cecelia felt like an old fashioned name as she is a Sessile Oak and I liked the alliteration!

So here are the photographs of her wonderful crown from the south. 



This is winter crown showing and you can easily see the large Holly growing along side. All the large oaks on site have a well established Holly tree growing alongside and a visitor commented ‘oh there is your Oak with a Holly familiar’


Spring  with the Hawthorn in bloom


These show not just Cecelia but the changes in the land over the years culminating in a newly planted stand of Aspens planted in January 2024 and they appear to be very happy where they have been planted.




      



The golden glow last night was wonderful as the sun was setting



The other fixed shot I have taken is from Cecelia’s trunk. The one above was taken the same day as the autumn shot of her crown.I have a good series of seasons from this spot.

We had early snow in November 2021



Both of these pictures were taken in May in different years. Below was a special year (June 2021)  where the Hawthorn and Blackthorn blossom came out at the same time. It is more usual to have the Blackthorn then the Hawthorn (May 2023 above).


Summer and everything is green and rather flat by comparison. On the few occasions that we had heat and sunshine this year it was a good place to sit and cool off.



I have collected and propogated acorns from Cecelia and they are growing well. 


I hope someone gets to see one of these new Sessile Oaks in 2174 at 150 years of age!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bel's Wood becomes a wood

Bluebells Thriving at Bel's Wood

Wildlife - badgers, foxes and deer 18-2-21