National Tree Week - the value of dead wood

It is National Tree week in the UK from from 25th November - 3rd December so I have decided to blog about some of my favourite trees. Check back in to see the other blogs which celebrate trees during National Tree Week. This one is a bit different. When I first researched developing a new woodland I came to the conclusion that dead wood should remain where it fell having read a great deal about woods and forests. 

       

This project would not include coppicing or providing wood for burning off site - I would burn some when up there but that's all. 


I would leave fallen trees where they landed and allow the wood to decay and return the nutrients in the wood to return to the earth.


I may need to tackle trees in particular instances. This lovely oak came down in Storm Arwen in November 2021 and fell across a neighbour's fence. I tried to cut it back sufficiently that the new deer fence could be erected but the crown did need to be cut to create space.








There has been some regrowth which was initially nibbled by deer but now they have been excluded does give some cause for hope.



I also use fallen branches at the wood. One use has been to create a leaky dam which slows the flow of the water down the beck. This has created pools of water which is then available in dry seasons for wildlife. 






This has worked although last summer we had no rain fall for over a month in June and the beck stopped flowing with small pools in rocks in the shade only.


When I find saplings regenerating at the wood I provide a tree guard and stake made from fallen branches:


I may need to cut branches which are unsafe at some point but only those that may fall onto the road running along the bottom. Apart from that I will avoid dangerous overhanging branches and keep away from the areas with mature wood in high winds.

    

The reason for this leaving dead wood where it lies is the huge value that it provides to the ecosystem as a whole. When standing the rotting trunk opens up holes and these are used by insects and birds. When fallen mammals and invertebrates use them as a home. Fungus does the lions share of breaking down wood to its constituent components, elements even, which become available to living flora and fauna. It also helps lock up the carbon already captured and improves the quality of the soil. I picked up a fact which I now cannot find again - that no tree ever living on Earth would have broken down yet without fungus. That's quite a claim. Here follows a celebration of the variety of fungus I have come across feeding from dead wood on site.


   

   

   


  

   







   

   

With the two earlier photographs that's 19 different types of fungus! I need to look out for National Fungus Week but it seems right to celebrate dead wood and the role it plays in National Tree Week.

Comments

  1. The human beaver thing with the beck is genius!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it's great fun but with soooo much rain and snow melt sadly the road is flooding again but I think it does help to spread the water out of the beck more - and well it is great fun playing in the water even if isn't making a huge difference. Leaky dams are a thing 😀.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Bel's Wood becomes a wood

Christmas and 4,250 trees are ready to be planted

Winter arrives and all systems are go