National Tree week - my favourite hawthorn

It is National Tree week in the UK from from 25th November - 3rd December so I have decided to blog about some of my favourite trees telling some of the stories attached to them. This is my first about my favourite hawthorn tree called Agnes. I will blog about the three mature oaks at the wood, a rowan tree that is special to me, praise the gorse on site and recognise the hard working yews. Check back in to see the other blogs which celebrate trees during Tree Week.

When I was getting to know my way around the wood I would get lost.  The steep bank and dense gorse meant that I could not see across site. Some trees stood out and became familiar to me and helped me find my way, The tree below has a distinctive outline in winter which made me think of the willow pattern on Chinese crockery. As spring came I discovered that she* is a hawthorn

* Hawthorn's don't have genders but in folk lore is associated with the feminine.




Initially I called her 'grandmother' as she is an old tree and seemed to me to be a helpful guide from afar. When I researched the history of the area around the wood which in the village of Crosthwaite I discovered that the Stanthwaite family had purchased land in the middle of the C16th and built a mill opposite where Bel's Wood stands in the Gilpin Valley. This is now called Starnthwaite Ghyll. From looking at the records of graveyards for Crosthwaite I have chosen to name the tree after Agnes Starnthwaite who I deduce was one of the first members of the Starnthwaite family to be born in Starnthwaite and who was buried in Crosthwaite Church 7th August 1667. (For more on the history of the area see an earlier blog:  https://belswood20.blogspot.com/2021/02/history-of-land-gilpin-valley-and.html )


            

Her distinctive crown can be seen peeping over the steep bank here helping with navigation through bracken and gorse.


Just this summer, on removing the bracken from around her base, I realised how easy Agnes is to climb into.


     

I have only ventured to the first branches and just this bit of extra height enhances the views to the north towards Red Screes (just north of Ambleside).



For the planting plan I have moved the footpath to walk beside Agnes so she does not become engulfed by the aspen being planted in the green area you see in the above picture. I enjoy standing looking across the valley from her high point and I have noticed friends stopping there to look at the view which I am preserving by planting lower growing trees on the slope to the east (spindle, guelder rose, crab apple trees).





Standing next to Agnes gives a view for all seasons:-

    Spring




Summer


Autumn.    

Winter

Hathorn is the most common tree on the land being a pioneer species ie the first to take root in the ground. I am not planting more hawthorn (or blackthorn which are also prolific for the same reason) but through planting other species am adding the mix of trees at the wood. Agnes is a tall one - maybe 9m which is considered the fullest height that a hawthorn grows to. They all put on the most wonderful display of may blossom usually in May. 

  

and standing together light up the whole valley:-



Agnes as an older tree doesn't have the most flowers but she is handsome standing alone and she is distinctive and is one of my favourite trees that I have got to know over the last three years.



Comments

  1. Fascinating to learn why Agnes was named Agnes. Such a wonderful old tree.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Bel's Wood becomes a wood

Christmas and 4,250 trees are ready to be planted

Winter arrives and all systems are go