Summer Solstice

June has been dry and hot and it feels like full summer came early this year. The smell of honeysuckle and elderflower fills the air.  

                               


  Honeysuckle



Elderflower


There are Small Pearl Fritillary, Meadow Brown Butterflies this year as well as Speckled Woods which I had in abundance last year as well.


 
Small Pearl Fritillary



Meadow Brown

Speckled woods (from last summer - I just haven't photographed them this year as they are common at the wood)


The beck ran dry last week ahead of the rain that finally arriving. 

 
Even this small bit of water is giving habitat for tiny waterboatman

    

There is now a slow trickle after the heavy rain at the weekend. More is needed soon or this will dry up again. Animals and birds have been visiting the beck in search of water and I can't help hearing a Jonny Morris voice in my head when the fox and badger walk along the path speculating where the beck has gone.


Fox

Sparrowhawk

Jay


Badger


This frog walked through Camp 1 the other morning heading for the beck I am sure hoping for water.

Some trees are looking stressed with their leaves turning yellow.



The orchard is looking parched and some of the trees have stopped growing leaves this year. I hope their roots are keeping going below ground.



This near tree is the healthiest looking and was the largest tree when it was planted. The ones further down the hill are just skeletons now so hard to pick out. I have been bashing this bracken at least twice a week (with the help of friends) and still it is coming back. This will be sucking up the water and nutrients available. The following picture shows the area next door that I have not been clearing and awaits the cut today. So the more intense effort is worthwhile but there is a limit to how big an area I can take on intensively.



I have kept the paths open manually and by keeping to the same lines as previous years this is getting easier.

  
The whole site is being cut today and there will be a second cut in August once the second growth has reached full height. In this way the rhizome will not be replenished in time for winter with the hope that it will grow less vigorously next year when the saplings have been planted. 


  
The foxgloves have continued to be spectacular. I am sorry that they will be cut today but I have reminded myself the point is to plant a wood not a foxglove forest! Many have formed seed heads and they are perennial so I am sure I will see them again. The bees have had plenty to feed on so far and this will be a loss for them but they are nearly over and the honeysuckle and elderflowers are still there.



I have found the occasional stink mushroom as well which is the first year I have seen them. No smell yet....I wonder what wildlife they support.


 



I arrived at the wood at 9pm last night, the Summer Solstice and walked into the Sylvan Corridor. It is a reminder of what trees will do for the site with little bracken remaining and birds and insects fill the air.







Cuckoo spit


Sunset on the solstice





At 9.14pm the sun dropped below the hills across the valley. It set at 9.49pm.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bel's Wood becomes a wood

Christmas and 4,250 trees are ready to be planted

Winter arrives and all systems are go