Up a Tree - Tawny Owl hunting (successfully!)

The beauty of mature trees is that they house a host of flora and fauna. I have placed cameras up various trees trying to capture birds so that I can learn who lives in Bel’s Wood. Over time I have collected some lovely footage of birds and mammals and I thought I would bring together these stills and videos in one place. I've captured 10 birds (including a mystery one) and 3 mammals (I do have footage of a magpie somewhere so the number is 11 - just can't find it in my filing system!)


I choose a flat surface in the hope that it will attract birds to land and be in focus for the camera to capture. I have selected the best footage here.


Tawny owl


This is still my favourite footage which has its own dedicated blog https://belswood20.blogspot.com/2022/07/tawny-owl-succesful-hunting-morning.html. I keep putting the camera back in this tree hoping to pick up more footage but apart from this two hour period no owl has returned - yet.










Tree creeper








Nuthatch


Although not in focus I like this shot of a nuthatch eating a yew berry.







Great tit


This is a common bird as well.












Song thrush





Perhaps a bit ambitious below ...



Sparrowhawk


I love the way this sparrowhawk is so hard to pick out once he has landed in the tree.






Robin

I have collected a great deal of robin footage so have just selected this one video.





Woodmouse


Night time only footage - wait for the return run!










Squirrel


I have a few of these shots where the squirrel is curious - maybe it's the smell or the light coming the camera that attracts them.



Shrew

I was really pleased to pick up this shrew. Its smaller than the woodmouse and has a pointy snout and shorter tail.




I've found this still from the www






Wren

This is the second most common bird footage I have picked up.






Bullfinch - I think


I have grabbed a still from this piece of footage and think it's a bullfinch.






Unknown footage - open to suggestions!

I can't work this one out ...





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bel's Wood becomes a wood

Christmas and 4,250 trees are ready to be planted

Winter arrives and all systems are go