Tawny Owl succesful hunting morning

I have been moving the cameras each time I download footage to try and pick up different wildlife. I have tried to capture birds in trees a few times and have had some success although the shots tend to be short with birds moving very quickly and I only get a second or two footage. This footage is a different order over a 2 hour period this tawny owl arrives and successfully hunts and eats 2 mice.



The camera is in a yew tree which provides a lovely flat platform. There is quite a bit of footage of a robin at 5.19am in the morning when light levels were still low under the tree.


At 5.52am the tawny owl arrives and appears to be in hunting mode in this video and another one picked just 5 minutes later.








At 6.15am the robin makes a brief appearance




At 6.29am the tawny owl returns with a mouthful and sets about eating his prey. I am thinking it's a wood mouse but its ears are not visible! I have included all of the short videos as they show different aspects of the owl but they are essentially the same one eating the same food on the same branch and ends at 6.33am. I set the timing to 10 seconds which is usually more than is needed but on this occasion I wish that the camera rolled for longer.

















It looks like the owl is eating insects in this shot but it is difficult to see what is happening in detail. Maybe he is cleaning his beak and claws.



An hour later at 7.32am, the tawny owl returns with another meal also a mouse I think. This does appear to be the same bird and he manages to eat this mouse whole in one gulp!



After this it's back to the robin singing his song with no further sign of the owl by the time I pick up the footage a week later. I have moved the camera to another tree with a good flat branch and hope to pick up further footage.

























Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bel's Wood becomes a wood

Christmas and 4,250 trees are ready to be planted

Winter arrives and all systems are go