January 2022 - that new year feeling

I’ve been busy at the wood clearing up from Storm Arwen. I will leave trees in their fallen position and see if they continue to thrive - horizontal - which they seem to be able to do when the root plate is still in the ground. I'll monitor what grows or lives in the space left by the root plates which create new spaces for flora and fauna and can be a boon for biodiversity. One lovely oak tree with a trunk the of 2m in circumference, which by my ready reckoner from the Woodland Trust dates from the second world war (80 years old), has fallen across a fence with my neighbour to the east. Happily this fence will be replaced with a deer fence later this year. For now I just need to cut the fallen branches so there is a space between our pieces of land which will enable the contractor to add the new fence. That isn’t immediately possible as there is a tangle of big and small branches entwined in branches of trees fallen on both sides of the fence. I have worked systematically (if inexpertly) with a hand saw to bring the top of the tree back from the fence. Then I am building up my own wood store with wood that will season over the coming months.


             






             

Lots of opportunity for fires once this lot is seasoned!

I have rediscovered muscles that I have not felt since I used to go to a gym regularly. It feels like good honest work but I can only manage a couple of hours twice a week. That’s ok - no rush. There is another large conifer that came down from next-door onto my land. I haven’t tackled that yet and I may accept kind offers from various people to come along with a chain saw.



The weather this year has been very changeable with snow, rain and some warm quiet days. I took the opportunity of sleeping out at the wood on one of these warm evenings. I was lucky to have some clear skies early on to enjoy star gazing. It then closed in meaning that the temperature didn’t drop below zero which is always helpful! There was a gentle breeze which suited the fire perfectly so was an easy night. I dread the night when I won’t be able to light the fire and have to eat cold food - which I always have handy in case. Once last year (in August) I had to light a fire under an umbrella due to the persistent, Cumbrian rain. Happily a friend held the umbrella and supper was served on time but I don’t think I could manage that alone!


   



      



It is fascinating to see how the fungus has taken the opportunity to move in on fallen trees. It's worth remembering that if wasn't for fungi then fallen trees would just lie on the ground for years. Soil is created by this rotting process which can only start when these organisms move in.



             


        




Although it is only January, there are signs of spring already. Wilhamena is budding with pussy willow. The bird song is greater but I can't report back what these are except I heard a tawny owl at 2.30pm today!


       



The biggest news for January is that the new gate has gone in allowing vehicular access and parking. The job was done by 2 men and took about 5 hours which is impressive. It does look scarred and ugly but that should recover as spring arrives. This gate won’t be there long as it will be replaced by a new ones when the deer fence goes in. I haven’t considered the design of the fence yet.



     






                    













The next step is for the pheasant shooting season to end and then the gorse can be removed. All systems go!


Comments

  1. The opportunities in the void of the gorse are endless :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Bel's Wood becomes a wood

Christmas and 4,250 trees are ready to be planted

Winter arrives and all systems are go