What happens at Bel's Wood behind my back!


I was lucky enough to capture this really short snippet of a mustelid. Opinion is split between this being an otter, a mink or a polecat/ ferret. It was running parallel to the beck and there is a small tarn on my neighbour's land. My beck runs into the River Gilpin. A neighbour Andy Brown (www.shepherdaerial.com), who has taken the aerial photos of my land, has kindly loaned me two more camera traps and I have had 3 cameras trying to get further footage. Sadly this has not been successful. Circumstantial evidence would suggest that this is a mink. Mink have been seen in the River Gilpin and by my neighbours with the tarn to the East. All opinions welcome!





In trying to get footage and with 3 cameras available I have picked up some fabulous shots of badgers, deer, foxes and some birds. The camera was trained on an easy crossing point for humans and as it transpires for pheasants


 
for squirrels 




for badgers


for foxes


for this little mouse who sets off to cross....

this is a good crossing point for roe deer too


and red deer although they think something may be up on this occasion


It is nice to see this badger stop, briefly, for a drink


and she is not the only one (sound up for this one)


There are signs that the deer leap across the beck and I have been trying to get good footage of that - this is quite good - wait for number 2 who is lurking behind the trees initially


And sometimes the wildlife knows that you are there watching!


I've moved the traps around over the last weeks and will post some of the footage on the next blog. It's good to know what goes on at Bel's Wood when I'm not there - and when I am there but in a different part! I often do get a fleeting view of a deer when I'm there and I hear them crashing through the gorse and barking often. I have heard badgers but have never seen one despite sitting very still for long periods in the evenings. They apparently have a good very good sense of smell. I haven't seen a fox yet either. Thank goodness for camera traps!




















Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bel's Wood becomes a wood

Christmas and 4,250 trees are ready to be planted

Winter arrives and all systems are go