Bracken, bracken everywhere!

 When I first visited this plot it was engulfed with bracken so I knew it was coming. But it has happened so fast. My focus has been 

  • Keeping key paths open so I can get to all areas.
  • Keeping a few chosen areas open for use (Camp 1, Cook out zone, The Terrace & the entrance)
  • Learning how to place camera traps to still capture wildlife despite bracken and deep grass

I have some good friends who have helped by keeping paths open by walking on them and stamping, snapping, cutting and bashing bracken!


These shoots appeared  


             and soon the whole site was covered





So I have got tooled up!


 


The hawthorn has come to an end


And has given way to summer flowers

 
Dog roses



            Vetch                                                    Broom taking over the yellow mantle from gorse

Honeysuckle

While the work started in earnest....

  

 


And some clear spaces and paths have emerged



but is hasn't all been hard work!




The goal is to clear identified areas twice before the end of July. In August when the bracken grows spores it is not advised to bash bracken as the spores can be inhaled and are carcinogenic. If I repeat this process next year and maybe once more the year after these paths and open areas will remain bracken free. That's the theory! I am growing arm muscles!










Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bel's Wood becomes a wood

Christmas and 4,250 trees are ready to be planted

Winter arrives and all systems are go