The pleasure of visitors - friends/ experts and sometimes both!

Over the last month I have had 19 different people visit the wood with me and each visit has resulted in me learning more about my wood. I will keep bringing people to look around and while I am showing them the route I will pick there brains as well as seeing things through their eyes. One day I may have some expertise to offer but for now I am enjoying learning so much from others.

New discoveries include:-


What I had been calling an apple tree on the neighbouring land is in fact a pear tree (there is a very tall one behind that gives this away)




There are at least 3 cherry trees on the site which are now clear as they are in full bloom but I hadn't spotted them before they were pointed out to me before their blossom arrived.


 



There has been a 'mystery tree' that I couldn’t identify in winter and it is a rowan -  I was curious that I did not have any as they are common in Cumbria * addition - I have found 3 so far. This is a good sign as I want to plant more as their blossom and berries will support wildlife so it is good to know they will thrive here.


      


I have early purple orchids now flowering


      



The cowslips are now in full bloom




Wood sorrel flowers and leaves are edible and tasty (tangy almost citrus)




These add to the flowers I did recognise -  wild strawberry, violets, Celandine,bluebells, primrose




    

  

There is a fine display of blackthorn blossom across the site and this is coming out at different times giving a rolling display alongside the gorse






Birds: there are woodcock who have a particular flight pattern which we saw one evening called ‘Roding’ which is a display flight undertaken by the males at twilight (I think I had wrongly identified these as curlew but I don't know if that is true - I am still looking out in case there are curlew as well)


A visitor was able to identify a red kite and kestrel one evening as well as the buzzards which are usually there and we heard the tawny owl hooting.


No photos sadly


Insects: There are ticks on the site! (Unfortunate for visitors - so far I have not had one in Cumbria and have been exposed to many places where others get them so I am hoping they just don’t like me!!). I have spotted orange tip, red admiral and cabbage white butterflies plus a few unknown (to me!). There are plenty of bumblebees - mostly buff tail but others definitely that I need to identify as well as honeybees (there are 6 hives on the neighbouring field).


Aerial photography:-


I have also been lucky enough that a neighbour Andy Brown who has kindly taken aerial shots of the site and stitched them into a composite which has really helped with me plan the future use of the site. I have drawn a rather crude outline and location of the beck. Opened up this shows real detail and I can even spot my rucksack when I expand it! Individual trees can be made out and the extent of the gorse identified.




Andy has also loaned me 2 camera traps to see if we can get the bottom of 'ottergate' (later blog when we know more...) and picked up these beauties





The one below needs to be watched to the end - after the badger is long gone a very fast something whizzes through - bat/ moth/ bird are all suggestions. Further investigation needed!




Next steps:

I have further visits planned this week with a friend Steve Lee who has set up a walking holiday company and is embedding green values into that business and is interested in tree planting https://www.skylinewalking.co.uk.  Also a second meeting with a friend Ben Alderton with the Forestry Commission will take place shortly to begin to discuss my plans.  

I have further offers of help:-

1. From a friend who visited, who owns a bat detector, to come along some time (I have seen a pipestrelle patrolling most evenings) 
2. From another friend who visited recently who has offered to do a baseline assessment of birds on site once all of the bird visitors have arrived (I haven't heard a cuckoo yet but hope to soon). He has a friend with a mobile moth catcher and is arranging for both of them to come along to see which species live there.
3. I have an offer of an introduction to someone who is a butterfly expert to discuss my plans. 

I feel very lucky that so many people have given me time and shared their knowledge. 

My plan will keep evolving as these discussions take place and I continue to learn. There is no hurry and I am still learning what is already there which I need to know if I am to enhance the biodiversity of the site. I feel so lucky that friends offer their expertise and pass me on to people they know who can help. There will be a time when I need to pin down my decisions and I may not be able to meet all of the competing opportunities (trees, insects, birds,
slowing water flow, carbon sequestration) but I want to make decisions with the best information I can gather.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bel's Wood becomes a wood

Christmas and 4,250 trees are ready to be planted

Winter arrives and all systems are go