The Beginning

The Vision

Acquire a small parcel of land in South Cumbria, improve the biodiversity there and increase the capability of the land to pull carbon out of the atmosphere. 

First I need to buy the land. I am bidding for my third serious contender now. I was outbid on plot number 2 (which appeared as a better option as I was about to bid on no 1). Now I am working on plot number 3. My bid is in but I have had no response so I continue to look and research how to go forward. This blog will document the new land, what is currently there, my plans as they emerge;  their implementation and the outcome over a 10 year period.

My mind is full of red squirrels finding a refuge, ceasing grazing to allow wild flowers to flourish, stopping bird breeding and shooting. Clearing bracken and gorse and introducing native deciduous tress, Scots pines and larches. Creating ponds. Mending fences & walls and creating space to sleep out and to build a fire. Thinking of nights star gazing with dark skies. But I can't start until I have the land.

The brief: 

Minimum:-
3hectares in the South Lakes (no more than half an hour's drive from Kendal)
Good access ie park nearby and reach land on foot in 10minutes from parking space and allow small machinery onto the land directly
Land without a diverse flora and fauna (eg. grazed or non native trees)
Preferable:-
An area of dark skies (darker than Kendal)
Private area on the plot that can be used to sleep out
Ability to connect up planting plan with neighbouring areas


Plots viewed so far

Shooting hut


Bracken would choke new tree growth


Gorgeous pond plot 1


Stream plot 3


Bird breeding and feeding area - birds can be seen. October 1st is the start of the shooting season


Stream plot 3 with signs of deer visiting


Mature woodland to aspire to


Mature woodland
Plot 2 open grazing land (trees separate plot used for bird breeding)

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Bel's Wood becomes a wood

Christmas and 4,250 trees are ready to be planted

Preparing to Plant