Winter arrives and all systems are go

The plan had been to plant the 4,200 trees in November 2023 but the warm wet weather meant that the trees did no go dormant as anticipated and nurseries did not lift them from the ground. The climate appears to be changing and compressing the season for planting. I received a message on 1st December, the first day of winter, that the trees are now being lifted but ironically the ground was now too hard for planting to go ahead!



I took this photograph on 3rd December in Kendal when the roads were impassable and I was happy to stay at home.

Thankfully the sun appeared and the roads were gritted (mostly) and with care I made it to the wood with friends to work on those final wood piles that needed clearing.  It was wonderful seeing the wood with fresh, deep, powder snow and noticing the changes in such a short time. Not a leaf remained on the branches.







The hawthorn berries had all dropped from the branches


Some of the paths were blocked as the weight of the snow had made the gorse collapse. I was too busy picking my way through them to catch a photograph but it was good to see the flowers on the gorse were still blooming and the holly taking a Christmas look!






The snow captured the animal activity and I spotted badger, red and roe deer, hare (I think) and various bird footprints.

Red Deer

Bird tracks - I have looked these up but can't tell. Deer footrpints crossing

Badger footprint - the scratch marks from the claws could be seen with they but difficult to capture on a photograph

Roe Deer - smaller than red deer

I believe these are hare footprints - I haven't seen them since the deer fence went up and not in this part of the wood but I can't think what else it would be.




I wish I had had time to spend more time looking at the tracks but there was work to do while the sun was up and before the road froze over again!










We did have some time to stand and stare

This lovely oak appeared when the gorse was removed nearly 2 years ago and is thriving.


The beck is full and overflowing now the snow is melting. I have cleared the drains on the road again but I fear the water will freeze overnight. The road has not been treated or ploughed and as the snow is compressed it will become very icy.











I left contemplating when I will get the chance to prepare the final 200 tree guards hidden beneath the snow here. The water in the beck is going to be cold and I am remembering back to starting the process of both log clearing and tree guard preparing in those hot days of summer. 

Well the thaw has now come so planting will start on 18th December and be done in time for the 3rd anniversary of me taking ownership of the land (23rd December 2020). Tree orders are being called off and deliveries coordinated from 3 nurseries and the University of Cumbria who are providing 100 Cumbrian Aspens to help with their project to strengthen the Cumbrian Aspen stock (Boom https://www.cumbria.ac.uk/business/projects/south-cumbria-species-restoration/) which I will blog about another time.










Comments

  1. Thanks for the update. I enjoyed reading your adventures in the wood....adventures including hard work ..... a great project.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks - I love it so it doesn't feel like hardwork 😀

      Delete
  2. Lovely stuff!

    (BOOM is Dutch for tree, by the way!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I didn't know that! 😀

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Bel's Wood becomes a wood

Christmas and 4,250 trees are ready to be planted